- WalletHub has just come out with their list of the “Fattest” states in the country
- Mississippi was named the fattest, ranking number one for Obesity & Overweight Prevalence, and number two for Health Consequences
- The site also revealed the top comfort foods in each state, and in Mississippi it is the Mud Pie
It’s no secret that a lot of people in the country are overweight, with the Centers For Disease Control recently reporting that more than 70% of adults are either overweight or obese. And while there are overweight people in every state, there are some states where more of the population is considered “fat,” and a new report reveals which ones they are.
WalletHub set out to determine the “Fattest” states in the country, looking at each state on a variety of factors including share of obese and overweight population, to obesity-related health care costs, sugary beverage consumption and more.
Overall, Mississippi was named the “Fattest” state in the country, ranking number one for Obesity & Overweight Prevalence, which includes share of overweight and obese adults, teenagers and children, and second for Health Consequences, which includes adults, teens and children with diseases like high cholesterol, diabetes and hypertension.
The Top Ten “Fattest” States In The Country(Click here for the complete list)
- West Virginia
- South Carolina
The study also looked at the most popular comfort foods in each state and that could give some insight into why so many Americans in certain parts of the country are heavy. Favorite foods include (click here for the entire list)
- Alabama – Fried Green Tomatoes
- Iowa – Loose Meat Sandwiches
- Kentucky – Hot Browns
- Mississippi – Mud Pie
- Missouri – Fried Raviolis
- New York - Buffalo Wings
- Oklahoma -Chicken Fried Steak
- South Carolina – Shrimp and Grits
- Wisconsin – Fried Cheese Curds